Being Heart Healthy is Easier Than You Think
A healthy heart can mean a longer life, so it’s important to do everything you can to keep your heart healthy. This includes everything from diet to exercise to taking the right supplements.
A heart-healthy diet is a way of eating that helps to reduce your risk of heart disease. Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States. A heart-healthy diet can help to lower your blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar levels. It can also help you to maintain a healthy weight.
Here are some of the key components of a heart-healthy diet:
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are low in calories and fat and high in fiber. They are also a good source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Aim to eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables each day.
- Choose whole grains over refined grains. Whole grains are a good source of fiber and nutrients. They can help to lower your cholesterol levels and improve your blood sugar control. Choose whole-grain breads, pasta, cereals, and rice.
- Eat lean protein. Lean protein sources include fish, chicken, turkey, beans, and lentils. Lean protein can help you to build and maintain muscle mass. It can also help you to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight.
- Limit saturated and unhealthy fats. Saturated and unhealthy fats can raise your cholesterol levels and increase your risk of heart disease. Limit your intake of saturated fat to less than 10% of your total calories and your intake of unhealthy fats to less than 30% of your total calories.
- Choose low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Low-fat or fat-free dairy products are a good source of calcium, protein, and other nutrients. They can also help you to maintain a healthy weight.
- Limit sodium. Too much sodium can raise your blood pressure. Limit your intake of sodium to less than 2,300 milligrams per day.
- Drink plenty of water. Water is essential for good health. It helps to keep your body hydrated and can help you to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight. Aim to drink eight glasses of water each day.
Following a heart-healthy diet can help you to reduce your risk of heart disease and improve your overall health.
And if you need a bit of added health, check out this dietary supplement to help you with your heart health.